The EPA found that turning off school bus engines while waiting produced less pollution than idling the engine. You may have read the story about a Sandy, Utah, 6th grader who started his own no idling campaign at his school.
Most people don’t understand that they can save money and energy by turning off their engines. You can help. First, you can turn off your own engine. Then, you can start your own campaign to educate those around you. Start Your Own No Idling Campaign. If a 6th grader can do it, surely you can, too.
We have created a friendly anti-idling postcard you can hand out when you meet people sitting in cars, buses or trucks with the engine idling. There is no reason to be confrontational. Just help the driver understand the facts by handing them a postcard.
- 50% OF AIR POLLUTION IN UTAH comes from vehicle exhaust
- Studies link air pollution from vehicles to increased rates of CANCER, HEART AND LUNG DISEASES
- CHILDREN ARE MORE VULNERABLE . . . their lungs are still developing and because they breathe more rapidly they inhale more pollution than adults
- Idling is expensive and hard on your engine. . . one hour of idling burns one gallon of gasoline and gets ZERO MILES PER GALLON
Help drivers understand that they can make a difference.
- More than 10 seconds of idling consumes more fuel than restarting your engine. . . TURN IT OFF
- Modern engines need less than 30 seconds of idling before driving on winter days. . . REDUCE WARM-UP IDLING
- Talk to your family, friends, and neighbors about the benefits of reduced idling. . . SPREAD THE WORD
Don’t stop there. Gather more information for Your Own No Idling Campaign. The Environmental Protection Agency and many states have created resources and models you can follow. These are a few of the best.
EPA’s National Idle-Reduction Campaign, part of their Clean School Bus USA Campaign - sample policy, Idle-Reduction Campaign Do-it-Yourself Kit, teacher’s guide and curriculum, and other great resources
Pennsylvania Clean Air Council – details of their School Bus Anti-idling Campaign, success stories, and great resources
Idle-Free Vermont – Explicit step-by-step instructions for creating your own no idling campaign
Vermont 10% Challenge (scroll a bit to reach “No-Idling Campaign) – information, brochure, flyer, sample policy
If you start Your Own No Idling Campaign, let us know. We’ll encourage other Utahns by telling them your story.